Friday, June 7, 2013

Liquid watercolors!

I'm realizing that this blog may be more than just sewing since we do all sorts of crafts in this house on a daily basis.  So today I'm going to tell you about how we make and paint with liquid watercolor.

A few weeks ago I took my almost 4 year old to an art class at Abington Art Studio.  My daughter made an amazing piece of art using liquid watercolors.  The teacher told me that I could get these bottles of liquid watercolor online or from a fine art retailer.  I figured I could make some out of the regular watercolors we already had in the house and it worked!  I mixed pieces of hard watercolor paint with warm water in containers and let my daughter paint.  She liked using droppers that I saved from old baby vitamins to paint and to mix colors.  Then I realized that I could use the bottle to store the paint and kicked myself for throwing so many away.


If you would like to make your own liquid watercolor, here is what I did.
Gather some regular watercolors.  $1 store stuff works great, just make sure it is non- toxic.  It doesn't have to be in good shape like the set on the left, I'm going to show you what I did to the green in the set on the right. 

Use the back of a paint brush or something hard to hammer at the paint.  Then pop out the crumbled up paint chips. 

Put the crumbly paint chips into an empty container or baby vitamin bottle with dropper lid.  Fill the container with hot tap water.  Screw the lid on tight and shake.

Once it is cooled, give to your child and let them create! 

I set up a few drops of colors for her to mix. 

Here is how it looked as she was blending them together. 

All three sets mixed.

The first time I made these I used small containers.  These allow for easy spills, we had a few.  However, the paint didn't dry out at all. 


She covered another paper in all red and yellow drops. 
 
Then she got out a paint brush and spread it all together.  The entire page was different shades of orange.  It made a really neat effect.
I hope you can enjoy some liquid watercolor art with the little ones in your life. 
 
Linking up at

No comments:

Post a Comment