The fabric I used is a purple crepe found in the special occasion section of JoAnn. I used a basic peasant shirt pattern that I embellished with purple cording and small white pompom trim. I made the skirt portion of the dress separate and then attached it to the top. I used 1/2 inch elastic in a casing on the inside of the waist to bring the middle of the dress in.
To make the waist more comfortable for my little princess, I hand stitched the casing flat on the inside of the skirt.
The skirt is made from 6 petal pieces. Individually, I appliqued the white symbol to the bottom of each petal and added large ball trim to the hem. Then I sewed the six petals together to form the skirt. Once together, I topstitched the hem to secure the ball trim.
I added the peplums made of a sheer sparkly purple material with small ball trim. I basted these to the bottom of the skirt before attaching it to the top.
The underskirt is white broadcloth with purple ribbon sewed along the bottom. This is not attached to the dress. I hope you enjoyed looking at our Sofia the First Dress. I've also made a Princess Amber dress that I'm hoping to post soon.
Update: It washes really well! My daughter got grass and ketchup stains all over it and it came out of the washing machine good as new. I used Clorox 2 on a gentle cycle and hung to dry.
I'm linking up with